Saturday, December 19, 2015

Museum of Little Ladies-3


Thomas walked into the room and flung himself into the chair in front of me. He opened up his portfolio to display pages and pages of black and white prints. I knew then I had found my to be partner-in-crime. His photography slide aside, even his overall attitude matched mine, talk about building the brand image. It would also ensure he would not jump onto some other employer too soon after I hired him. I offered him the job on the spot and he did not even negotiate on the monetary details.

A month later, the windchimes rattled away merrily as I walked into my studio. The chill in the air was rising and all around was snow covered and magical. A somber reminder however persisted on the posts covered with holly and other Christmas cheer. Now covered in plastic wrap, two photographs fluttered in the wind, both of brown haired angels I had photographed. This time, the girl had gone missing from the swing set in the park. As I had walked past them today, something had begun to disturb my mind. Like there was  a connection I was missing. I tried to shake myself of the feeling.

Of late, with Thomas in the studio, I had started wedding photography too. Jim had run into me at his partner's daughter's wedding. If I wasn't very sure of him being completely invested in the investigation and therefore haranguing me, I would have suspected him of chatting me up. He had repeatedly asked me hundreds of convoluted questions until I accused him of impeding my work and he accused me back of impeding his investigation and David, his partner had to break us up. But he had definitely planted a seed of doubt in my head. Maybe I did know something, something which connected these children. Giggles broke into my reverie, Thomas and Nadia got on like a house on fire. The only time when I had ever seen Thomas smile was when he was deep in conversation with Nadia and even then unconsciously.

No comments:

Post a Comment